Monday, December 23, 2013

Utah Isn't Just Right Wing Extremists

A couple of days ago, I was chatting with one of my Army buddies. The thing about Army buddies is that they come from all over. This particular friend is from Flordia. Something that is pretty common when you meet people from other places, is to share about the cool thing there are to do in your town. 
Personally, I feel like I have to defend living in Utah a lot. People from other places really think that there's A) Farms, no running water, and polygamists
B) Mormons who hate everyone that isn't like them
C) Rich right wing extremists
D) Absolutely nothing cool to do. 
E) All of the above. 
So when someone says what is there even to do in Salt Lake?! I go on a 5 minute rant about all of the great things that The Wasatch Front has to offer.  It makes me feel like I can never say "I'm bored" ever again.


Of course, there is always the trip to Temple Square. Every year at Christmas time, the lights go up in the trees.  Plus there are Nativity Scenes from around the world and a hot chocolate stands on every corner. 
That picture was taken back in my Senior year of highschool...I don't just wear my letterman around anymore...
There's outdoor ice skating at the Glavian Center. I haven't ever done it, but I reallly think I need to this year.
There are two huge, beautiful shopping centers in Downtown Salt Lake with high end retailers and a big movie theatre.  There's also two outlets malls. One in Park City and on in Utah County. 
With in about 30 minutes of my house I can get to at least 3 ski resorts. 
There's the "Candlelight Christmas" at This Is The Place Heritage Park where you can see carolors and pioneers wandering the streets. You can also square dance in the school house to authentic period music on the weekends. 
Jazz Games...even though they reallly aren't worth watching this year at all :(  
There's a fantastic production of the Nutcracker every year performed by Mountain West Ballet.  I've had friends dancing in it for years. It is always an amazing show. 
You can run around Gardner Village and see the elves. This is also something that I've never done, but I read about it in Aubrey's blog and it looks like a ton of fun!
You can go Celebrity scouting in Park City!  I want to get a job up there just to run into famous people...I've never really met anyone that's famous, so I always thought that would be pretty cool. 
There's seriously so much to do. I can never ever complain about there being nothing to do ever again. There is always something to do...  What have you found to do where you live?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Sounds like there are a ton of fun events to do in your city :-)

Ashley said...

It sounds like there is a lot to do near you. I hope you can still enjoy all of it!

Post a Comment

 
Designed By Poppiness Designs