Thursday, December 19, 2013

When it Rains it Pours

Well, I promised you all a series, so today, I have my sidebar featured sponsor Ashely  from American Honey to kick it off!  This series was created to share exactly what this blog is all about. It's about making the best of bad situations. It's about learning to move on from the things that don't go exactly as we plan.  I hope you enjoy the first instalment of

To share you story and be a part of this series, please email me at katherine.c.nay@gmail.com

****
Have y’all every heard the saying “when it rains, it pours”?! Well, fellow friends of Chalk It Up to Better Luck, I’m Ashley from over at American Honey and I have a quite literal and somewhat funny (after the fact) raining and pouring story that I now chalk up to better luck and laugh about.

As some of y’all may know, I was a tour guide at my college. I loved getting to meet all of the prospective students looking to attend my wonderful school. Every semester I had to give a certain number of tours and sign ups would be at our bi-weekly meetings. I signed up to give a tour on Veteran’s Day. I was very happy about this tour until I found out that it was supposed to rain the whole week.

As the time for my tour came around, I was not excited to give about it anymore. Before I even started the tour my Sperry’s were soaked. I tried to make the best of this rainy day by being a very cheerful tour guide and telling lots of jokes because I wasn't the only one having to tough it out in that wet miserable weather.
About half-way through the tour, somebody asked me a question. I didn't want to stop and answer it because that would only mean being out in the rain even longer. I turned around and started walking backwards down the sidewalk while answering the question.

Little did I know that I was walking down a sidewalk where a knee-high decorative brick wall jutted out into the middle of the walkway. I kept walking backwards and walked right into it and ended up sitting down on it. Normally everything would have been fine. I probably would have laughed and gotten up and made some kind of joke about it. But on this particular day, it wasn't quite as funny. When I got up from my unintentional sit on the brick wall, the back of my pants were soaked. I was mortified!

I tried to laugh but I just couldn't manage it. Everybody in the group asked if I was alright which only made me feel worse. The front of my pants were soaked from just walking in the sideways rain and then the second half of the tour I had completely wet pants, front and back. When we finally got to the end of the tour, I apologized for giving such an awful tour on the yucky rainy day. To my surprise I was met with big smiles and laughter as my group told me that I had given one of the best school tours they had been on.

Ever since then I try to remember that just because you’re having one of those “when it rains, it pours” kind of day doesn't mean that you can’t have a positive effect on other people’s day. Heck, you may even get a good story out of it like I did.

I also wanted to thank Katie for hosting the Chalk It Up series and wish her the best of luck! 

1 comments:

Ashley said...

I always thought being a college tour guide would have been a blast! I fell on the ice once at a bus stop on campus... talk about being embarrassed!

Post a Comment

 
Designed By Poppiness Designs